Welcome to Souhegan Valley Chorus!
Rehearsal Location Change
Because of the snowstorm and resulting school closing, tonight’s (Tuesday December 3, 2019) will be held at:
First Congregational Church
10 Union Street
Milford, NH 03055
Come to our Holiday Concert!
Join the Souhegan Valley Chorus on Saturday December 14th for Sing We Now of Christmas: Music of Harry Simeone, Bing Crosby, and Louis Armstrong, a concert of holiday songs from our childhoods. (Click on the poster image to download a PDF.)
SVC director, Jennifer K. Erdody explains, “The inspiration for this year’s Christmas concert is the Harry Simeone Christmas album that many of us listened to when we were kids. First released in 1959, this album has been a standard in homes for decades now. We were thrilled to find the exact arrangements in print that are performed on the album!” This late ’50s early ’60s music is paired with contemporaries Bing Crosby and Louis Armstrong. Armstrong’s “‘Zat You, Santa Claus?” and Bing Crosby’s “Mele Kalikimaka” are two lesser known Christmas songs, while we also include more well-known classics such as “Christmas in Killarney” and “White Christmas”.
Kimberly Vars Whitehead accompanies the chorus of 70+ members from the Milford-Amherst area and surrounding towns. Join Souhegan Valley Chorus for this evening of holiday music at Souhegan High School in Amherst NH at 7:00pm! Admission is $15 for adults, $12 for seniors and students, and is free for children 12 and under. Click on the image below to buy tickets online:
Today is Friday, 16 April, 2021
- There will be 4 ZOOM REHEARSALS in sections with Jenn and Kim
- March 30
- April 6
- April 13 (Jenn)
- April 20 (Kim)
- Saturday, May 1st record in-studio at TY Studios, Milford
- Appropriate social distancing precautions will be taken at the studio.
- Singers from the fall found the precautions to be effective. They also noted that singing with a mask was surprisingly effective – especially with a special insert that made it easier.
Here is the magic wand waving scoop on Souhegan Valley Chorus for the Spring 2021 Semester.
- Our finished product will be a VIRTUAL CONCERT.
- The virtual concert will premier May 15 on YouTube.
- Jenn has chosen “Highlights from ‘A Chorus Line’”, arranged by Roger Emerson as part of the program.
- Kim has chosen “Forever Music” for SVC to learn this spring. Commissioned for the Kansas All-State Honor Choir, Mark Hayes brilliantly uses Susan Bentall Boersma’s lyrics to create an uplifting piece that highlights the healing power of music… especially in trying times like we have experienced through the pandemic! Ideally, our voices will be paired with pictures and text that will enhance the beauty and message of the music that brings us all together!!
“O sing in language of the heart, sing more than just a sound. Sing from the depths of hope and love with words rich and profound…
- The concert will also incorporate some of our past performances as well as current solos and small groups.
Let the magic begin!
Singing in a choir could be ‘the new exercise’
“Exercise is one of the few activities in life that is indisputably good for us,” writes Daniel H. Pink in his new book, ‘When: The Scientific Secrets of Perfect Timing.‘ “Choral singing might be the new exercise.”
“Choral singing calms the heart and boosts endorphin levels. It improves lung function. It increases pain thresholds and reduces the need for pain medication,” Pink claims, citing research published in Evolution and Human Behavior. It also seems to improve your outlook, boosting mood and self-esteem while alleviating feelings of stress and depression.